SAWC Fall welcomes members of the press to write about content presented at the annual meeting. Complimentary registration is provided to members of recognized press with valid press credentials allowing them to attend sessions.
Below you will find a complete listing of the eligibility requirements, guidelines, and policies for members of the press who wish to attend SAWC Fall. Please read all policies and guidelines prior to registering. The SAWC Fall Press Office has the right to inspect the credentials of anyone registering and reserves the right to deny press registration to any individual.
Who Can Register for Press Credentials?
Journalists employed by a recognized news organization, including freelancers who contribute to such organizations, are eligible to apply for press registration. To be eligible for press registration, journalists in all categories must be directly involved in the creation of news content for organizations that meet these criteria:
- Publish original editorial news coverage in a regular news section
- Have complete editorial freedom from advertisers, funders and/or sponsors
- If sponsored, the outlet has multiple sponsors (no single-sponsored publications)
- Advertisers, sponsors, paid editorial, and other funding sources are clearly identified.
NOTE: No more than 5 press badges will be issued per organization. SAWC Fall reserves the right to impose further limitations on the number of badges issued as necessary.
Special Considerations for Registration
Bloggers and Podcasters
Bloggers will receive press credentials on a case-by-case basis. Include a copy of photo identification (such as a driver’s license or passport) and a copy of press identification (such as press credentials or a business card) or a statement about your blog’s intended audience and history. In addition, include copies of, or links to, two recent and relevant posts to SAWC Fall (posts demonstrating the blog’s coverage of relevant topics). Finally, all blogs must demonstrate the dissemination of original, editorial news coverage and editorial freedom from advertisers and/or sponsors (single-sponsored blogs will not receive credentials; blogs with advertising must have multiple advertisers clearly identified).
Podcasters will receive press credentials on a case-by-case basis. Podcasters include hosts and producers of podcasts that have been in existence for at least one year and regularly produce original audio content in or around SAWC Fall. Podcasts must be hosted by a recognized news media outlet, scientific society, educational institution, government agency, or a non-profit organization focused on SAWC Fall. The SAWC Fall Press Office may grant press credentials to producers of independent podcasts not hosted by a media outlet or scientific institution/society, or those that have been in existence for less than one year, on a case-by-case basis.
Podcasters must present a link to the podcast homepage and a webpage or business card clearly showing their name and affiliation with the podcast. They must also provide a link to or screenshot of the podcast’s page on a major listening platform such as iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher or Spotify.
If the podcast is not hosted by a media outlet or scientific institution/society or has been in existence for less than one year, the SAWC Fall Press Office may ask for additional credentials and weigh a podcast’s monthly downloads, listener ratings, and social media following in determining eligibility for registration.
Editorial staff participating in the meeting for the sole purpose of editorial direction may apply for press registration, but will be required to submit a letter from a designated organization official confirming that the staff member will be representing the organization for the sole purpose of editorial direction as well as a copy of the publication (electronic or hard copy). Non-writing editorial staff is limited to one per organization.
Documentary Film Crews
Documentary film crews and video production companies must submit a written request email@example.com at least 30 days prior to the meeting that includes information about the company, the purpose of attending the meeting, a synopsis of the film/video/documentary project, and information on the editorial/financial supporters of the project.
Photographers, videographers, and/or other members of a multimedia team accompanying credentialed news outlets must submit an assignment letter with their registration that includes information about the total number of crew and specific role of each crew member. Photographer/videographer/multimedia registrations count towards the four registrations allowed per organization, and assignment letters must be on company letterhead.
Who Cannot Register for Press Credentials?
The following individuals are not eligible for press registration or interview space designated for use by registered press:
- Individuals who receive exhibitor passes;
- Publishers or a publications’ advertising, marketing, public relations, sales, circulation, or any other non-editorial function representatives from the business side of news media, political action committees or similar, and for-profit corporations;
- Industry/exhibitor press officers and their public relations consultants
- Financial or business analysts;
- Educational program developers (including CME writers and editors);
- Trade media management personnel;
- Editors, writers, and scientific advisory board members for journals that do not have editorial news sections
- Companies or organizations producing publications, videos, and/or other electronic media intended for internal use, marketing, advertising, financial analysis, or public relations purposes (Exhibitors wishing to film marketing and public relations videos, such as KOLs, are allowed to do so at their booths during non-exhibit hall hours with prior approval; please contact Imedex for more information).
- Media who produce a communications vehicle that is sponsored by a single organization or whose revenue for the publication or issue of a publication depends solely on coverage at SAWC Fall.
- Media who produce communications vehicle that use SAWC Fall) name or logo to imply endorsement also are ineligible to receive press credentials.
Please Note: SAWC Fall prohibits the development of CME content based on information presented at SAWC Fall. CME writers and editors, and those writers and editors working on behalf of organizations that have written CME based on the (EVENT NAME), are not eligible for press passes.
Activities not Allowed by Registered Press/Photographers/Videographers
- Sales, marketing or representing a company for the purposes of obtaining advertising, subscriptions, selling photography/video production, or other products or services from any registrant or exhibitor;
- Misrepresentation of role or activities to obtain media registration;
- Sharing or distributing embargoed materials prior to the end of the embargo
- Developing or assisting in the development of continuing medical education programs;
- Soliciting presenters and/or attendees for inclusion in CME programs or publications;
- Publishing or posting presentation slides or copyrighted meeting materials or live streams of meeting presentations.
Conference Access for Registered Press
Credentialed media have access to all general sessions and the exhibit hall. Access to ticketed events is restricted to paid ticket holders only.
Interviews with Faculty
Request for speaker/faculty interviews should be coordinated through the SAWC Fall Press Office. Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recording of Sessions
Hand-held audio recorders and still cameras are acceptable, assuming that intellectual property copyrights are respected. Registered media may take photos and audio record in the session rooms for the sole purpose of reporting accuracy with prior permission from the presenter. Filming of sessions is strictly prohibited. Photos and/or audio recordings must be captured in a non-disruptive manner so as not to disturb the presenter and other attendees. Flash photography, video recording, and live streaming of any meeting materials, including all presentations, are strictly prohibited.
Recording in Public Areas
To film in public areas, media must receive prior approval from the SAWC Fall Press Office. Video cameras must be pre-approved by the Press Office when press credentials are applied for before the meeting. Moving video recordings are limited to interviews with presenters/attendees; general b-roll and live video updates filmed outside of the exhibit hall and speaker sessions; and establishing shots. Any images from the meeting should be credited to SAWC Fall.
Recording in Exhibit Hall
Exhibits may not be photographed or videotaped without express prior permission from the exhibitor and SAWC Fall Press Office. Attendees who have questions about these media policies should contact SAWC Fall Press Office at email@example.com.
Reproduction of meeting materials and presentation slides requires first obtaining permission from the presenter(s), as well as from any individual or group that may hold copyright on the material. Journalists violating copyright may have their press credentials denied the following year.
Meeting Coverage Promotion Guidelines
If you intend to present coverage of SAWC Fall on or in a dedicated website, newsletter, or promotional piece of any kind, acceptable titles of your coverage include:
- SAWC Fall Highlights
- SAWC Fall Review
SAWC Fall Press Office reserves the right to request promotional activities violating this policy be edited or removed. Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in the loss of press access at future meetings.
Use of Insignias/Logos
Insignias and logos of SAWC Fall are proprietary marks. Use of these in any fashion, by any entity, for any purpose, is prohibited without the written permission from SAWC Fall. The use of insignias, logos and images that mislead the intended audience to believe that a piece or production is coming from SAWC Fall is strictly prohibited and will result in the denial of press access at future meetings.
How to Apply for a Press Badge
To apply for a press badge, journalists should be prepared to provide the following:
- Photo identification (such as a driver’s license or passport)
- Media identification certifying that you are a working member of a recognized print, broadcast or online media (such as a business card, accredited press pass or an official media outlet- issued credential)
- An assignment letter from an editor, assistant editor, assignment editor or designated organization official confirming that the journalist will be representing the organization and explaining the intended use of the resulting coverage (Bloggers may submit an overview of their blog and explain the intended use of the resulting coverage in lieu of an assignment letter.)
- Bylined, published work samples, preferably directly related to SAWC Fall (scientific research studies, textbooks, textbook chapters, brochure/promotional copy, etc. do not qualify as news coverage)
NOTE: Journalists who received credentials for the previous year’s meeting must submit bylined coverage from the meeting as in lieu of general work samples. (If meeting coverage is behind a paywall, a username and password to access the coverage must be provided. This information will only be used to verify eligibility and confirm post-meeting coverage.)
To apply for press access, please visit SAWC Fall Press Room. Once your application has been reviewed, you will receive confirmation of its approval or denial.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Does HMP Global share its media list?
A: HMP Global does not share, rent, or sell the current or past list of registrants or media with attendees, exhibitors or their representative public relations and marketing agencies.
Q: What do I do if I lose my badge?
A: All registered press must wear their badge at all times so that staff can easily identify those who have audio/video/photography privileges. If you lose your badge, please visit the registration desk to have a new one printed. Any member of the press found to be requesting duplicate badges for transfer to an individual not approved by HMP Global’s Public Relations team will result in access being revoked at the current and future meetings.